Borok Geophysical Observatory is a branch of Shmidt's Institute of Physics of the Earth. The objectives of the observatory are the registration of the geophysical fields as well as theoretical fundamental scientific researches on the following directions:
- geoelectromagnetic monitoring,
- global electrical circuit and atmosphere electricity,
- dynamics of a solar wind and magnetosphere of the Earth,
- paleomagnetizm and evolution of the Earth's magnetic field,
- magnetic analysis of mountain rocks,
- study of a stress-deformation state of Earth crust of seismoactive regions.
The structure of the Observatory includes scientific laboratories:
- Laboratory for Paleomagnetism and Physicochemical Properties of Rocks,
- Laboratory for Dynamics of Geophysical Wave Fields,
- Geophysical Monitoring Laboratory,
and auxiliary divisions:
The Center for Petrohpysical and Geomechanical Research of IPE RAS conductes the laboratory core testing in the Observatory with usage of unique press equipment
The observatory has wide international scientific contacts and takes part
- in the international network of geomagnetic observatories INTERMAGNET (www.intermagnet.org);
- in works under contracts and collaboration agreements with the Parisian Institute of Physics of the Earth (France);
- In the international scientific conferences, meetings, sessions of many international committees and societies.
The Observatory is the place of many scientific meetings on the geophysical investigations.